Friday, April 23, 2010

First post

Walt Disney changed the world with superb business skills and break-through technology, and of course the cute characters adored by all and the truly memorable stories no one forgets. Mr. Disney brought these characters and stories to the public in cinemas. From being local, to national and within ten years his business was global.

I've always been addicted and persistent with pop-cultures. The very first pop-culture I fell in love with was The Simpsons, though I was too young to even understand most of the jokes directed at adults I still enjoyed the concept of a yellow family with gags and bizarre themes. And now that I'm older I enjoy it more. When I went fresh into high-school and was fascinated by the Asian cultures, I discovered the broad variety of manga and anime, mostly shows like Naruto and Shana and as a child Sailor Moon. Warner Bros. are also well-known for their Bugs Bunny and Daffy Duck. Even McDonalds and Coca Cola are major pop-cultures. But above all, The Walt Disney Company stands at the top of the global world for its magical reputation.

My name is Joz and I'm a young artist living in the NSW state of Australia, and for those who don't know Australia is an island often called the "the island continent". I'm in my final year of high-schooling, and as a result I'm undergoing drastic changes, stressing over the last of my school work, trying to remember my scheduled driving lessons, thinking a lot about my future and constantly seeking advice from others about big decisions. So I've been worrying a lot about things for a pretty laid back Aussie.
Though the HSC's tough as it is I cant say I hate it. I mean, I'm learning about the subjects I chose and wanted to do, its just that its a lot. My escape subjects from the pressures of Ancient History, Hospitality and English are Art and Society and Culture.

In Society and Culture class its a small group of people (eleven of us altogether) and it is the most fun subject. Last year for a S.A.C. assignment I got to perform a focus group: I had a group of people in a room and watched their reaction to freestyle music and then their reaction to the Macarena. This year I'm creating a P.I.P. on initial attraction between men and women.

Besides all that, after I studied a great deal on Japanese life in S.A.C. I am now studying pop-culture and more specifically Disney. It's a dream come true for me to be studying pop-culture because of my sharp memory at remembering everything I watch in cinemas or on TV. If its interesting and on TV its stored in my brain automatically. It sounds sad but I've just always been able to naturally remember those things ever since I could remember. Plus its helped me on occasions whilst playing trivia. However, it is much to the annoyance of my family that I can strongly remember what I watch for entertainment and not what I read for education. My family loves me, but I can be overbearing for them when I start overflowing with the scenes and jokes that have been burned in the fabric of my memory. But seriously, I cant help it.

With my teen hood about to change with the responsibilities of adulthood, I am really hoping that I'll be able to cope. I have a feeling that Disney is going to help me with that when I'm not studying and when I finally find time to relax. But also I think that Disney will be having a bigger impact on me in the long run.
Thank you for reading and please stay tuned.

No comments:

Post a Comment